Friday, December 11, 2009

Picture Book of the Week: School Lunch


When I printed the statistics for my monthly report for November, I was suprised to see that School Lunch by True Kelley was the most popular picture book in the month of November. It is a new title for us this year, but I hadn't taken the time to really look at it until now.


Harriet, the cook at Lincoln School, is tired from making healthy lunches for the students, so she decides to take a vacation. The book consists mostly of letters sent from the students to Harriet, describing the horrible replacements that Mr. Fitz, the school principal, scrapes up. While this wouldn't be one that I would do for a read-aloud, classroom teachers might consider it when talking about letter-writing. Kids will enjoy the humorous meals that the various cooks serve up, and it could be tied in with a nutrition lesson, too. You might have a hard time getting your hands on a copy, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment